top of page

Parliament House

It is possible that parts of this building date all the way back to the 1460s, so by the 19th century the building was falling into disrepair. In 1906 MP David Davis bought and renovated the place to be used as a memorial to Owain Glyndŵr and also as a social hub for the community. The Glyndŵr exhibition was installed in 2011, which you can visit today!

Arfbais Glyndwr

The Parliament of Owain Glyndŵr

The last native Welshman crowned Prince of Wales

Before becoming the rebel prince, Glyndŵr was a trained lawyer and soldier for the king of England. In the late 1390s a neighboring lord had besieged parts of his land and branded him a coward before the English royal court. The King's Parliament ignored Glyndŵr's appeals for help.


Taking matters into his own hands, in 1400 Glyndŵr instigated a Welsh rebellion against the English crown and declared himself ruler of Wales. In response, England instituted anti-Welsh laws, severely restricting the ability of Welsh people to make money, own property, defend themselves, and even marry. This brought even more Welsh to Glyndŵr's side. By 1403 the majority of Wales was fighting for independence, and in 1404 Owain Glyndŵr established his parliament in Manchynlleth.


The Welsh Parliament declared that Wales was an independent nation which was to run under the old laws of Hywel Dda. They also planned to establish a national Welsh church and two universities to serve the country. However, despite the passion of the Welsh and the alliances formed with France and Scotland, the tide began to turn.


England combined ruthless battle tactics with economic blockades, and Wales's allies refused to continue helping. By 1410 the rebellion was failing, prominent leaders had been imprisoned or executed, and in 1412 Glyndŵr went into hiding.


The rebellion had ruined Wales economically, and England had imposed oppressive laws to ensure that a rebellion would never happen again. The Glyndŵr Rebellion was the last large-scale battle for Welsh Independence.

Restoring Parliament House

David Davis was an industrialist and MP for Landinam. In 1909 he comissioned George Dickens-Lewis to restore Parliament House into an Institution in the popular Arts and Crafts style. The Institute was completed in 1911 and was originally home to the library before it moved across the road. The building was given to the town of Machynlleth and was used extensively by the community. In 2011 the Owain Glyndŵr Exhibition was installed

bottom of page